A few weeks ago, I posted tips for staying safe in the heat, but seeing as though temperatures this week will be dangerously high, I'd like to share a few more from RN Bonnie Hansen, Trauma Coordinator at Highland Park Hospital.
- Hydrate well with water and electrolyte drinks the day before you are outside
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol and high sugar drinks
- Avoid those energy drinks that are loaded with caffeine
- Limit dairy on hot days
- Eat more protein and carbs (PB and J, Meat sandwiches)
- Wear loose clothing
- Drink water often
- Apply sunscreen often
- Find shady areas or buildings with A/C (like the Gift Shop and restaurants) to cool off
- If needed, seek help at the First Aid station, which is open for every concert
Ravinia will also have cooling tents available to the public on the following dates:
- Lisztian Loves, Wednesday, 7/20: 2011 Tent
- Rare and Ravishing Rachmaninoff, Thursday, 7/21: Northern Trust Tent
- Five For Fighting, Friday, 7/22: 2011 Tent
You can refer to the Park Map to help guide you to the tents. Enjoy the shows and stay cool!