It's the first full week of 2012, and that means only a couple more months until our 2012 season schedule is released! Until then, relax and tune into our spotify playlist Ravinia Festival: This Week in Classical Music, and listen to all your favorite works on the anniversaries of their initial premiers. Just click the Spotify logo, or the link above, and add our playlist to your library. We update our playlist every week so there will never be a need to resubscribe! Below is a day-by-day listing of the track selections for this weeks edition of the playlist. We hope you enjoy!
- 1735: Bach: Part 5 ("Ehre sei dir, Gott, gesungen") of the 6-part "Christmas Oratorio," S. 248, in Leipzig
- 1843: Wagner: opera, "Der fliegende Holländer" (The Flying Dutchman), in Dresden at the Hoftheater, conducted by the composer
- 1890: Tchaikovsky: ballet, "Sleeping Beauty"
- 1897: Dukas: Symphony in C, in Paris
- 1881: Brahms: "Academic Festival Overture," in Breslau, with the composer conducting
- 1996: Richard Danielpour: "Toward the Splendid City" for Orchestra, by the New York Philharmonic, conducted by Leonard Slatkin and commissioned by the Philharmonic for its 150th Anniversary
- 1677: Lully: opera "Isis," in Paris
- 1932: Ravel: Piano Concerto for the Left Hand, in Vienna, with Vienna Symphony conducted by Robert Heger, with Paul Wittgenstein (who commissioned the work) as soloist
- 1888: Dvorák: Piano Quintet No, 2 in A, Op. 81, in Prague
- 2000: Bright Sheng: "Red Silk Dance" for piano and orchestra, by the Boston Symphony conducted by Robert Spano, with Emanuel Ax the soloist
- 1857: Liszt: Piano Concerto No. 2 in A, in Weimar, with the composer conducting and his pupil, Hans von Bronsart, the soloist
- 1942: Copland: "Statements" for Orchestra, at Carnegie Hall by New York Philharmonic conducted by Dimitri Mitropoulos
- 1928: Hindemith: "Kammermusik" No. 7, Op. 46, no. 2, in Frankfurt, with Ludwig Rottenberg conducting and Reinhold Merten the organist
- 1911: Florent Schmitt: "La tragédie de Salomé" for orchestra, in Paris